Solid, Liquid, Gas, PLASMA! with Amy Lemaire June 20-24, 2022 Salem Community College Take your sculptures to the next level - add unique light effects with plasma! Over the course of this workshop, participants will design and fabricate a plasma lamp of their own design while learning about the science of gas discharge tubes in a creative environment. We will consider plasma in the contexts of scientific glassblowing, contemporary art and design through a combination of demonstrations, collaboration, and hands-on learning. Topics covered will include tips for sculpting borosilicate glass for plasma, application of phosphors, safety, gas mixtures, adding electrodes, capacitive coupling, and much more. This class meets from 9am to 5pm each day, Monday through Friday, with additional studio time Monday through Thursday, from 5pm to 9pm. Materials for participating in the course are included. If you have specific colors you are interested in working with please bring them with you.
INSTRUCTOR: Amy Lemaire
Additional Course Information
- Participation limited to students 18 years of age and up.
- Lunch is available for an additional fee; $75 for 5-day workshops.
- Classes meet 9 am to 5 pm each day. Students will have additional practice time the first four evenings of the course from 5 pm to 9 pm.
- Materials for participating in the course are included. If you have specific colors you are interested in working with please bring them with you.
- Any work from the final day of the course remaining in a kiln will be available for pick up beginning the following Monday. Students may have finished worked shipped for an additional fee.
Holiday Inn (Philadelphia South-Swedesboro)
Exit 10 off Interstate 295 (1 Pureland Drive, Swedesboro, N.J.)
$119/night plus tax, breakfast included
Reference block code "SCC" to reserve at the group rate
Click here to reserve online!
âCancellation and Refund Policies
- Salem Community College is not responsible for non-refundable travel expenses. There is always a chance, due to unforeseen circumstances, that a class could be cancelled unexpectedly. In these instances, refunds on registration will be issued, and Salem Community College will not be responsible for non-refundable travel expenses.
- Classes are subject to a minimum enrollment policy. In the event that we do not meet our minimum enrollment for a course we will refund your purchase. Students will be notified no later than 45 days prior to their class start date if their workshop is subject to cancellation due to enrollment.
- Student cancellation/refund policy- Cancellations made more than 45 days prior to the start of the class are subject to a $150 cancellation fee. Cancellations made 2 weeks prior to the start of a course will receive a 50% refund for the registration fee. Cancellations within 2 weeks of the course are not eligible for a refund.
Welcome to Taming Lightning, I'm Percy Echols II. I'm the creator and host of Taming Lightning, as well as the emerging plasma tech at Pittsburgh Glass Center, where I'm researching and developing a space to explore Plasma and Neon Light as an Artist Medium.